Friday, October 5, 2012

Wilderness Values

A good friend of mine enjoys the outdoors, and several times has hiked in a nearby state park. It is always enjoyable (it's the woods, of course its awesome).

However, we recently went to the Boundary Waters together and she has a far different perspective of this same state park she's enjoyed so many times before. Here is a paraphrase of what she told me the other day:

"I've hiked in Afton State Park many times and have enjoyed it. But, I had a different perspective when I went there again after our trip to the Boundary Waters. I was annoyed by all the people, boats, noises, etc and wished we were back to where we were secluded."

This made me both happy and sad. It was sad that this beautiful state park did not have the same meaning anymore. Before, it was a place to escape and get to the woods. Now, it seems like just another place where there are man made things, sounds, etc. Yes, it was one of the last beautiful days for boats to get out on the river before the snow falls, so there were probably more people there than usual. But still, the air was flooded with noise, and there was a constant reminder that these natural places are shared with so many others.

Mostly, though, her statement made me happy. I have long ago found the greatness and the value of seclusion. Being in a place where, at least for a moment, you feel like you have the whole world to yourself. You can stand on the edge of a cliff and scream into the open air, and not a single soul can hear you. Now, sharing the secret of the Boundary Waters with others is incredibly rewarding. I watched this particular friend grow and adapt to the same mindset I have when I am in the secluded wilderness - to appreciate just the bare minimum you need to get by, and to rely on nobody but yourself. Hearing her say that she values the secluded wilderness over places populated by worldly things makes me happy. I accomplished my mission of passing on my values of the wilderness to another.

1 comment: